Senior Technologist, Software
We have a current opportunity for a Senior Technologist, Software on a permanent basis. The position will be based in Sussex. For further information about this position please apply.
Mission/Purpose of the Job
To guide the vision for the generation of software architectures that build on current deployed systems and to develop strategies to realise both the business needs of today as well as setting the path for future business opportunities.
• Maintain awareness of product roadmaps and priorities in the Business Area as well as related research developments taking place in the NTV department.
• Use specialist software knowledge to guide and provide consultancy on the development of innovative software solutions that solve complex problems and deliver added value.
• Provide mentorship and guidance on software architecture and designs to ensure reliable, scalable and maintainable software products can be developed.
• Establish both formal and informal networks to enable the breaking of new ground in software development. Make technical recommendations and pitches to key stakeholders to adopt new and innovative ways of working, tools and process improvement.
• Adopt and promote a continuous improvement mindset both in terms of software quality as well as delivery through measurement of KPIs as well as improving software methods.
• Provide guidance and practical recommendations on the adoption of testing frameworks to optimise delivery of software in line with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery methodologies.
• Consult with the Engineering Manager on the development of the Software Engineering Roadmap. Identify threats and maintain awareness of competitor and wider industry solutions.
• Provide guidance on the software release process and make recommendations on potential areas of improvement in terms of reliable software deployment and upgrade management.
Scope of the job
• The job is involved in all stages of the software development lifecycle from requirements capturing to release validation and approval.
• The role requires very close interaction with Divisional level Engineering Managers and Marketing / Product Managers, as well as with peers at some other Product Companies, e.g. Engineering Managers, Quality Managers etc.
• There will be some need to travel to UK & European locations, and maybe very occasionally to Asia or US locations, e.g. to other Vacuum Technique sites, key suppliers and, possibly, customers.
Knowledge / Skills / Experience
• Bachelor or Masters degree or equivalent in Computer Science or a related engineering discipline.
• Experience in developing software architectures for embedded systems. Significant experience (more than 10 years) in developing and supporting customer-deliverable software-based products
• Experience in working with Linux Operating Systems would be an advantage.
• Experience developing and introducing new software development processes.
• Must be a good communicator and have excellent fluency in spoken and written English. Must be able to develop strategies for software development and demonstrate strong influencing skills
• Significant experience working in a global engineering environment and working with international teams to deliver software solutions. Experience working in a multi-disciplinary design environment
• Significant experience working in a regulated, compliance-driven industry
• Preferably some experience in a project management role using both Waterfall and Agile (SCRUM) frameworks.
• Preferably some software team management experience